Audacity 2.3.0 was released on 29 September 2018.
audacity-win-2.3.0.exe (application/x-msdownload) - 26693160 bytes
audacity-win-2.3.0.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 12899377 bytes
audacity-macos-2.3.0.dmg (n/a) - 35846075 bytes
audacity-manual-2.3.0.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 20131123 bytes
The 2.3.0 tarball is now marked as 'Experimental'.
After release we found it is not stable, and are investigating.
audacity-minsrc-2.3.0.tar.xz (n/a) - 10431768 bytes
Audacity 2.3.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 90 bugs fixed since 2.2.2.
- Includes fixes to Timer Record, and to 'Envelope Points'.
- New feature - "Punch and Roll Recording".
- Toolbars controlling volume and speed can now be resized for greater precision.
- Play-at-Speed now can be adjusted whilst playing.
- Macros (formerly 'Chains') substantially extended.
- Pinned-play-head can now be repositioned by dragging.
- Audacity 2.3.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- If your hardware only supports SSE, you may download Audacity 2.0.6 see the Legacy Windows page on the Audacity Website.
- 2.3.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
macOS / Mac OS X
- Audacity 2.3.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.2.2 that we have fixed for 2.3.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
Some of the bugs we fixed for Audacity 2.3.0:
- Timer record continues recording and does not stop at the stated time. You may on low powered hardware still see slow updates to the timer, and we haven't fixed that entirely yet.
- QM 1.7.1 plug-in crash, now fixed.
- Envelope curves got badly confused when joining clips.
- "The Incredible Shrinking Toolbars" - Toolbars getting smaller if you repeatedly docked and undocked them.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 2.3.0 for most users.
- Far less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
Mac: Audacity will not work with future versions of macOS
Linux: built-in real-time preview effects crash
Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams
Windows: DirectSound Sound Activated Recording does not record correctly or pauses permanently after 12 seconds
Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.